Laser marking solutions are specifically designed for applications that require a permanent mark that will withstand time, exposer, and harsh environments. Laser marking technology offers a high rate of repeatability and minimal safety risks. Often referred to as permanent marking or DPM (Direct Part Marking), laser marking technologies offer a DPM solution for a vast array of applications. Datalogic offers multiple laser marking technologies, that provide a solution for virtually any material ranging from metals to resins, plastics to glass. In addition, Datalogic also provides solution options for organic materials such as wood, cardboard, leather, and produce. Whether your application calls for a direct mark of a barcode, serial or VIN number, or a custom graphic, such as a company logo, Datalogic laser marking solutions meet the demand.
Considering the material that will be permanently marked is a major factor in selecting the right laser marking technology to fit your needs. The source of the laser marker is a critical variable to ensure that the quality, repeatability, and contrast are top notch. There are a wide range of laser marking sources including Fiber, DPSS, CO2, Green, and UV to name some of the most common. Datalogic offers options for all referenced laser marking sources, allowing us to provide the widest range of laser marking solutions on the market.
Wattage and lens options are also very important factors when determining critical manufacturing requirements such as: What cycle times need to be achieved? How large or small of a marking field is required? What resolution characteristics are needed? Datalogic offers multiple wattage and lens options for all laser marking sources. Price per watt is a common industry term, and our vast array of wattage options warrants that you will never have to pay for more than you need. We also offer a wide range of both handheld and fixed position barcode readers that are specifically designed to support Direct Part Marking applications, making us your one stop shop for a complete solution from mark to read verification.
DIRECT PART MARKING COMMON APPLICATIONS
Laser marking applications have broad range of demands and requirements. The flexibility offered by laser marking technology make it ideal for jobs that require a permanent mark when a paper label or other temporary marking solution will just not meet the demand. The ability to modify and adapt with substrate materials creates and optimal combination of capabilities and features, allowing end users to adjust on the fly with minimum downtime for configuration changes. This versatility offers advantages over other permanent marking technologies. With very few mechanical components and minimal safety risks, laser marking provides a level of reliability not offered in solutions such as dot ping and acid etching.
- Industrial Traceability – Laser Direct Part Marking (LDPM) is used whenever a reliable and permanent code is needed in harsh environments. Datalogic’s laser markers include up to 100 code symbologies. This, in combination with human readable alphanumeric text, can be engraved, etched, or marked on any metal, plastic or organic materials. High resolution and reliable contrast ensure that LDPM codes are marked in compliance with your specific industry's quality standards.
- Branding and Texturing – Laser etching, laser annealing, and laser ablation are widely diffused process when your product needs a high-resolution brand logos, quality certification marks, or even a texture or a decoration. Laser marking systems are the best solution for OEMs and ODMs for their unique capability to calibrate the laser beam to achieve a high contrast attractive visual effect with a permanent while non-tactile mark.
- Industrial Processing – Laser markers can be used for material processing as part of the manufacturing process. Selective paint ablation or coating removal are employed to selectively remove protective coating layers and ensure good welding or adhesive behavior, or secure electrical connections. This efficient, maskless process is also widely used in the manufacturing process of commonly known as “night & day” backlit electronic components. A special logo or symbol is made visible on them through the ablation of dark paint on light transparent components.
DIRECT PART MARKING COMMON BENEFITS
The benefits of laser marking technology can be analyzed in several ways. Common metrics that are used to measure the benefits are TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) and cycle times. However, benefits such as repeatability, reduced noise levels, and personalization capabilities are sometimes just as important. Datalogic’s extensive portfolio of laser marking solutions allows your organization to leverage the right solution for your application, with the best price to performance ratio on the market.
- Cycle times – Laser marking in many permanent marking applications is not only safer, but much faster than dot-ping or acid etching. Increased throughput is a definitive advantage over these other technologies that are progressively becoming outdated and unproductive.
- Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) – Despite the higher initial cost, laser marking systems dramatically reduce the TCO (as ongoing maintenance and running costs lessen) compared to other marking techniques. Other benefits are no consumables, high level of repeatability, no degradation of marking quality over time, and extremely limited electrical consumption. The Datalogic solutions are also known for their competitive “price per watt”.
- Integration – Laser marking is a non-contact process: there is no mechanical interaction with the target parts. This means no need of expensive clamping or fixture. The marking will only affect the select area with no spills, abrasion, or damage on the surrounding components. Fast programming times and a user-friendly software, with the ability to communicate with multiple fieldbuses.
- Selective processing – Laser is widely tunable in its affects. It is possible to deep engrave one component and to gently texture the next one with no thermal effects or damages.
- Environmentally friendly – Laser does not use any chemicals, inks, or solvents like traditional marking methods. It does not produce waste. In addition, the electrical consumption typical of newer laser technologies, like fiber laser, is tremendously reduced.
- Profitability – Datalogic can help you to increase your profitability and see real return on investment also reducing overhead and eliminating waste.
- Interface – Datalogic laser marking systems incorporate proprietary laser control software, which provides user friendly interface for all our industrial laser markers, built-in fieldbus support, run time and editing interface, and integrated powerful tools for customization to meet your business needs and for easy programming.